My guide dog turned 5 years old yesterday. All day I pondered the ways she enriches my life and facilitates my independence. I celebrated her with extra hugs and special attentions and she ate it up. I even fixed her a “birthday” treat which my sister shared with me. (Take several doggie treats and place them in a small bowl. Cover with water or chicken broth and freeze. Pop it out of the bowl and give to your dog) Sophie loved her popsicle and worked on it out in the yard. She also got a juicy bone to chew today!
” Be the person your dog thinks you are.”
It just so happened that Leader Dogs for the Blind asked me to write a list of “Top Ten Ways My Leader Dog Assists Me” for a media campaign the day before Sophie’s birthday. I enjoyed thinking about that list and it marked her birthday in a special way. So here is what I came up with:
Top Ten Ways My Leader Dog Assists Me…
10. My Leader Dog helps me to live a healthy walking lifestyle.
9. With my Leader Dog, I am more engaged in my community with organizations like Lions Clubs and local school groups.
8. My Leader Dog helps break the ice and start conversations socially.
7. I feel confident and eager to go places with my Leader Dog.
6. My Leader Dog gets me from here to there with style, grace, and efficiency.
5. My Leader Dog keeps me on a schedule and encourages me to play.
4. My Leader dog helps me walk in a straight line, maintaining my balance, pace, and route.
3.My Leader Dog assists me to stay safe while walking, avoiding obstacles like curbs, signs, and people.
2.With my Leader Dog, I am able to walk with my head up and enjoy my surroundings.
…and the #1 way my guide dog assists me is she provides unlimited love, adoration and devotion which lifts my spirit and enriches my life…what is not great about being adored?!